Eastern Upper Peninsula Interactive Map
Visit our Eastern Upper Peninsula Interactive Map to see all the featured lighthouses listed below and their locations. The Lighthouse Icon to the left will guide you to the many great places to visit in and around Newberry Michigan.
Crisp Point was one of five Lake Superior U.S. Life-Saving Service Stations along the coast between Munising and Whitefish Point. It is located about fourteen miles west of Whitefish Point. It was built in 1875 and became operational in 1876 as Life Saving Station Number Ten, of the U.S. Life-Saving Service District 10 (it was later part of District 11) . Crisp Point inherited its name from one of the Life Saving Station keepers, an iron-willed boatman named Christopher Crisp. The other four Life-Saving Stations were Vermillion Point (now Vermilion), Two Heart River, Deer Park (formerly Sucker River Station and Muskallonge Lake Station) and Grand Marais.
Point Iroquois Lighthouse is located a few miles north of Bay Mills, Michigan on the lakeshore drive. The lighthouse was built in 1870 and operated until Visitors can enjoy climbing the stairs to the tower and view Lake Superior.
The Grand Marais Harbor of Refuge Inner Lighthouse was established in 1898. This is a square tower with lantern and is painted white. It stands 55 ft in height and is currectly active. The keepers dwelling is now a museum and operated by the Grand Marais Historical Society. It is open to the public from June to September. To visit this light, please take CR 702 into dowtown Grand Marais, proceed northeast aprox. 1/2 mile. The light can be seen to your right of the road before it ends at the old Grand Marais Lifesaving Station.
The Seul Choix Point Lighthouse is located in a Michigan State Park near Gulliver, Michigan is about eleven miles east of Manistique. From U.S. Route 2 in Gulliver, follow County Road 432 south about 4 miles (6.4 km) to County Road 431. Turn right on CR-431 another 4 miles to the park.
The Manistique East Breakwater Light is located on the end breakwater on the harbor on the Manistique River in Manistique Michigan.
The Whitefish Point Light Station was established by Congress in 1849; since then, a life-saving beacon has illuminated these dangerous waters for mariners continuously. Today, the Whitefish Point Light is the oldest operating lighthouse on Lake Superior. The present light tower was constructed in 1861 during Abraham Lincoln’s administration. Whitefish Point marks the eastern end of a notorious 80-mile stretch of shoreline from here west to Munising, Michigan, known ominously as Lake Superior’s Shipwreck Coast. At least 200 shipwrecks are in the vicinity of Whitefish Point. The 1975 loss of the steamer Edmund Fitzgerald with her entire crew of 29 has become a world-wide legend. The wreck of the Fitzgerald lies just 15 miles northwest of Whitefish Point.